Research in High Performance Computing
I am a Pre-Doctoral researcher in the TU Wien at the Research Group Parallel Computing. My research interests revolve around the High Performance Computing (HPC) area. Specifically, the Message Passing Interface (MPI), its performance and usability. Past research includes topics on Interconnects, Resilience and Fault-tolerance.
My current research thesis concerns the mapping of parallel processes to the system's topology using the MPI library. This research requires a deeper knowledge on how the MPI applications use the MPI library. This has motivated me to develop a new profiling tool for the MPI that explores the use of MPI communicators by the applications.
- Ioannis Vardas, Sascha Hunold, Jordy I. Ajanohoun and Jesper Larsson Träff: mpisee: MPI Profiling for Communication and Communicator Structure, presented at the HIPS Workshop of IPDPS 2022
- Ioannis Vardas, Manolis Ploumidis and Manolis Marazakis: Exploring the impact of node failures on the resource allocation for parallel jobs, 14th Workshop on Resiliency in High Performance Computing (Resilience) in Clusters, Clouds, and Grids
- Ioannis Vardas, Manolis Ploumidis and Manolis Marazakis: Towards Communication Profile, Topology and Node Failure Aware Process Placement, 2020 IEEE 32nd International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing (SBAC-PAD)
- Hunold, Sascha and Ajanohoun, Jordy I. and Vardas, Ioannis and Träff, Jesper Larsson: An Overhead Analysis of MPI Profiling and Tracing Tools, PERMAVOST '22: 2nd Workshop on Performance EngineeRing, Modelling, Analysis, and VisualizatiOn Strategy
Dimitris Giannopoulos, Nikos Chrysos, Evangelos Mageiropoulos, Giannis Vardas, Leandros Tzanakis, Manolis Katevenis: Accurate Congestion Control for RDMA Transfers, 2018 Twelfth IEEE/ACM International Symposium on Networks-on-Chip (NOCS)
mpisee presentation at the Austrian-Slovenian HPC meeting 2022
- Computer Architecture and Parallel Computer Architecture
- RISC-V Open Instruction Set Architecture
- Linux Kernel and GNU/Linux operating system
- Emacs and Org mode